Sunday, January 6, 2008

Awkwardness and Discoveries

We read through the script as a cast on Thursday and it was a very interesting experience. I had never seen this play before so I didn’t know what it was like or who the characters were. I have a very major part, it’s almost frightening. I have to go to every rehearsal and have a million lines to memorize.

Another thing is that my character is a bit scandalous. I’m about 50 years old, and I’m obsessed with sex and use that in my plays. It’s funny, but awkward. The funniest scene in the play (in my opinion) is lead by me, and it’s all sexual humor. It’s not too bad, no one actually says anything, but there are a lot of broken off sentences.

Actually… it’s only awkward to me. I read it to my mother and some friends and they said “There’s nothing wrong with that!” and laughed like crazy, and they’re really good people. I guess I’m just afraid people will think I’m like that, and I’m nothing like that. Most people say “Of course they won’t think you’re like that” but everyone who says that knows me. Most of those people in the audience won’t know me.

*sigh* anyway. It’s alright.

But it’s amazing what you can learn about some people just through random circumstance. The fire alarm went off multiple times while we were reading and a warning strobe-light flashed. From this I learned that my long time drama teacher/director is epileptic (no she didn’t have a seizure). It was just a very interesting experience.

My dad wouldn't tell us what he wanted for Christmas because he said that we should just know by talking to him.

It's a very interesting thing, that the best way to learn about someone, is just to talk to them.

Blocking (staging) starts on Tuesday! Eep! I’m excited and nervous.

One last thing, the very first scene has me playing with two kittens, the director says that we can’t have actual kittens. I’m trying to convince her though…

~Enna Isilee

6 comments:

Erin said...

During one play I went to, I was talking to a parent of one of the actresses (it was a highschool play) and the mother was glad her daughter looked awkward playing a flirty role onstage, because she didn't want people to think her daughter was really LIKE THAT. But I think she missed the whole point! If you LOOK awkward people notice, and you're no longer acting. If you don't, people will just think you're doing a good job. That's how I believe it works anyway.

I wish I could see you perform!

Debbie Barr said...

Enilee, I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Just have fun with it! No one is going to go up to you on the street afterwards, shout "Hussy!" and slap you upside the head.

Promise.

Well... I might do it now, but really, there's nothing to worry about... ;)

Q said...

The thing is, it's NOT you. It's your character. If you do a good job with the role, people who don't even know you will think you did an excellent job playing that character, even if she is a little naughty.

And if anyone DOES call you a hussy, laugh and say, "Isn't she?" :)

We believe in you!

Enna Isilee said...

Well I hope you come see it Celes and Q, and I'll mail you a DVD Mima. ;)

Erin said...

Really?? OH YAY!

Jessica said...

Oh sounds fun! ;) awkwardness + discoveries = awesomeness : )